5 Simple Reasons You Need to Ditch the Plastic & Switch to Shampoo Bars
It's never been easier to ditch plastic bottles and switch to shampoo bars. Here are the only 5 reasons you need to know to make the switch.
Estimated Read Time: 7 minutes
If you haven’t heard about shampoo bars, please let us know where you’re hiding so we can join you! But seriously, if you’re looking for ways to cut plastic out of your life, look no further!
Trying to find a shampoo and conditioner bar just 5 years ago was virtually impossible; today there are tons, dare we say hundreds available! Trends come and go so quickly, but this is one trend we hope stays forever!
If you haven’t made the switch to shampoo bars yet — or you tried and had a bad experience — here are 5 reasons you should give a Suds & Co shampoo and conditioner bar a try.
What Are Shampoo Bars
Let’s start with the basics. A shampoo bar (and conditioner bar) is simply product in solid form. Just as you have soap in bar form, you have shampoo in bar form!
While it might seem like some newfangled invention developed by environmentalists, shampoo bars have actually been around a long time — since at least the 1800’s with roots centuries before. We only began to see bottled beauty products with the rise of plastic and liquid detergents in the 1930’s and 1940’s.
Shampoo and conditioner bars have been brought back by popular demand as people begin to look to create more sustainable and eco-friendly lifestyles.
We love our shampoo and conditioner bars — not just because we sell them — but because they’re super effective!
5 Reasons You Should Ditch the Plastic & Switch to Shampoo Bars
1. Better for the Planet
- In a lifetime, the average person goes through 800 bottles of shampoo. Now multiply that by every person on the planet.
- Only 50% of people recycle plastic bathroom items and roughly one fifth of recycled plastic is used to make more bottles.
- Plastic that isn’t recycled or sent to the landfill ends up breaking down in microplastics which pollute the land and oceans.
- Recycled plastic loses integrity so products made from recycled plastic need to be blended with virgin plastic for strength.
Switching to shampoo bars is an easy way to create a more sustainable routine! Our shampoo and conditioner bars come in compostable/recyclable cardboard packaging and are completely plastic free.
Our bars are vegan and cruelty free, greywater safe, and you’ll never see:
- Artificial colors
Since shampoo and conditioner bars are lighter and smaller than traditional plastic bottles, they take up less space when shipping (so more can be shipped at one time) and they use less energy and emissions during the transportation process.
2. Travel Friendly
Which one of these has happened to you before:
- You’re going on vacation, you’ve had a million things to worry about but you’ve finally made it to the airport only to realize your shampoo and conditioner isn’t TSA compliant!
- You packed your favorite shampoo and conditioner, have made it to your destination and are ready to work, play, or sleep. You open your suitcase to find a gooey mess covering everything. Now you have to pay for dry cleaning AND you don’t have shampoo and conditioner…
- You’ve decided you’re going to pack light and use the shampoo and conditioner the hotel provides. You take your first shower only to find the shampoo provided is really not that great oh, and your hair has a complete meltdown. Instead of having fun on your trip you’re trying to tame and control your hair (or hide it somehow in all the pictures).
Any of those? All of those?
Either way, traveling with shampoo and conditioner bars is a breeze, whether that’s traveling down the block, across the world, to the gym, anywhere! They’re small, lightweight, compact and with a travel tin super easy to transport.
Leaving no plastic behind when traveling with a shampoo and conditioner bar.
3. Concentrated Formula
Shampoo bars do not contain water and are a concentrated form of shampoo.
And what’s the first ingredient in liquid shampoo and conditioner? Water!
You have your own water you pay for, you don’t need to also pay for it in your shampoo and conditioner. Not only do you save water and use less product with each wash but each bar will likely last you longer than a bottle of the liquid variety!
Less water also means the other ingredients get to shine. Many of our shampoo bar users experience softer, shinier, and healthier hair after switching to a shampoo bar.
With each bar, and depending on the length of your hair, you can expect to get 75+ washes using one bar for every 2-3 plastic bottles!
There’s a Shampoo Bar for Every Hair Type
You get a bar and you get a bar and you get a bar!
Gone are the days of heavy sudsless bars that buildup in your hair and only work on 1 hair type.
Each one of our bars is made with salon grade natural ingredients like powdered lemon peel, coconut oil, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, and other goodies right from nature. The bars are safe to use on colored and treated hair and have been known to reduce frizz, deeply moisturize, and increase shine.
No matter your hair type, we have a shampoo (and conditioner) bar that works with every hair type.
5. Aesthetics — Shampoo Bars Are Just Plain Cute
With everything going on in the world (and our lives) we all need aesthetically pleasing things that make us happy.
Shampoo bars fit any minimalist vibe and are a wonderful daily reminder that no matter how the rest of your life is going, you’re taking steps to reduce your plastic consumption. Go you!
With amazing scents inspired by and powered by essential oils, you can have a luxury moment with every wash.
While you’re lathering up, take some deep breaths and appreciate the scents. Take a few moments to clear your brain, say some affirmations, tell yourself you love you and get yourself pumped up (or down, depending on when you shower) for your day or night.
How Do You Use Shampoo Bars
What’s one of the best parts about using shampoo bars? They’re super easy! There are two methods of using a shampoo bar.
1. Direct Application
Take the shampoo bar, wet the bar and your hair and rub the bar directly on your hair starting at your hairline and working your way to the back of your head. Lather up and repeat the process if you need more suds (but our bars suds up really well so you shouldn’t). Wash and rinse as usual.
2. Hand Lather
Wet the bar and your hair. Rub the bar in your hands to create a lather, then apply the lather in your hands to your hair. Wash and rinse as usual. This method works best if you have thin or short hair or are new to shampoo bars.
Apply a conditioner bar the same way. Think of painting your hair with the bar instead of rubbing to get a lather.
How Do You Store Shampoo Bars
To get the longest life out of your bars, make sure they stay dry.
Which seems like a silly thing to say about a product that lives in the shower but we really just mean don’t let them sit in a pile of water.
Other Blogs You Might Find Helpful:
- 17 Things You Can Make Plastic Free ASAP for Plastic Free July
- Zero Waste Shampoo & Conditioner Bars, Are They Really Worth the Hype
- An Easy Breakdown of Suds & Co Shampoo & Conditioner Bars by Hair Type
- FAQs | All You Need to Know About Our Zero Waste Shampoo & Conditioner Bars
- 5 Best Selling Zero Waste Products Straight From Our Community