If we all made small swaps, together we can make a big difference. This Plastic-Free July, join us and 100 million+ other people around the world in fighting plastic pollution.
We’re challenging you to focus on one small win each week. Whether you’ve bought a bamboo toothbrush or remembered to bring a reusable coffee cup, you deserve to toot your own horn!
What is Plastic Free July?
Plastic Free July is a global movement that brings people together to be part of the solution to plastic pollution. In 2022, a record 140 million participants got involved and reduced their waste by 2.6 million tons – the equivalent of around 13 thousand blue whales!
This year’s theme is small steps, big difference. As a company dedicated to making sustainable choices simple and accessible, we’re super excited to get involved.
Our weekly wins challenge is about the small steps we can all take each week, to build habits that make a big difference in the long run – are you ready to get started?
Plastic-free July fact sheet
- The US throws away 550 million shampoo bottles each year
- 2 billion plastic, disposable razors and refills end up in landfills each year
- More than 50 billion coffee cups are thrown away in the US each year
- 5 trillion plastic bags are produced worldwide annually
- At least 14 million tons of plastic ends up in our oceans every year
Where do I start?
We’ve got lots of ideas below, but if you're looking for an all-in-one solution, our Zero Waste Starter Kit has everything you need to start your plastic-free journey.
It has bestsellers for the Kitchen, Bathroom, Laundry, and On-the-Go, to help you build routines for July & beyond.GET A STARTER KIT TODAY
“We don’t have to engage in grand, heroic actions to participate in change. Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.”
Join our Plastic Free July challenge 2023
What's the Challenge?
Each week, celebrate one small win where you’ve swapped out plastic for a sustainable alternative in different areas.
- Week 1 — Bathroom
- Week 2 — Kitchen
- Week 3 — Cleaning
- Week 4 — On The Go
What's the Prize?
What’s the prize? Other than cutting back on your plastic usage, each week we’ll be choosing one sustainable superhero to win a free zero waste kit valued at $100.
How do I join in?
- Share a picture of your weekly swap (no matter how small!) on Instagram
- Caption it: ‘This week, my small win is…’
- Tag @zerowastestore and #rethinkyourwaste
- We’ll pick a winner who tagged us on IG to win a free kit
Zero Waste Swap Ideas for Plastic Free July
SWAP your plastic toothbrush for a bamboo one
SWAP your synthetic sponge for a natural one
SWAP your shampoo or conditioner bottles with bars
SWAP plastic dish brushes for wooden ones
SWAP paper towels for reusable cloths
SWAP plastic wrap for beeswax wraps
SWAP wet wipes for reusable disinfectant wipes
SWAP chemical cleaning sprays for multi-use cleaning powder
SWAP laundry detergent bottles for laundry detergent sheets
SWAP plastic shopping bags for tote bags
SWAP takeout coffee cups for you’re a reusable coffee cup
SWAP plastic-packaged snacks for reusable snack bags
The biggest challenge of Plastic-free July is to make your good habits stick for the rest of the year. Here are our top tips for making habits stick:
- Start small: pick-up one habit at a time and build them up over time.
- Set mini goals: set weekly targets to stay on track.
- Remember your ‘why’: read up on plastic pollution to stay motivated.
ZeroWasteStore will be here all year-round to bring you sustainable swaps and educational resources to reduce single-use plastics.
Join us to #rethinkyourwaste this Plastic Free July & beyond.